Healthy Brown Rice with vegetables
I cooked this brown rice recipe with leftovers in my fridge one day. I was quite happy with the result. Many wonder how to cook brown rice? You would cook it as you would cook your normal white rice. I prefer the pressure cooker method as it’s quicker. But you can cook it over gas in a vessel, but this will take longer and more gas. You can cook it in the microwave too, but I haven’t tried it yet. Please use whatever vegetables you love. You can add paneer or tofu as well. This is brown rice healthy recipe, so haven’t used too much oil.
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook time:20 minutes
Yield: 2 person
- Brown Rice – 1 ½ cup
- Mixed capsicum – 2 large nos
- Zucchini – 2 nos
- Onions – 2 nos
- Brinjal/ Eggplant – 1 nos
- Crushed Garlic – 2 to 3 big cloves
- Parsley – a small bunch chopped finely
- Walnuts – a handful
- Salt & pepper – to taste
- Chillies fresh/ flakes – as per taste (optional)
- Italian mixed herbs – 1 to 2 tsp (optional)
- Olive Oil – 2 to 3 Tbsp
Brown Rice Recipe:
- Wash the rice. I use 1 cup of brown rice to 1 ½ cup of water. Add some salt in rice & water and cook it in a pressure cooker it for 4-5 whistle. Time can vary for you, so it will take a little trial to get it right.
UPDATE – Best way to cook brown rice is to cook it in a heavy bottom vessel with a lid on. So simply give the brown rice a good wash and with add water in 1:2 ratio. [ 1-part rice: 2-parts water]. Use a heavy bottom pan, add a little salt. Cover and cook for 15-20 mins approx.
- You can also cook it in a heavy bottom vessel and cover it, but this will take a long time. You will have to keep a check on water too.
- Once done it will nice and fluffy. Keep side.
- In a pan add oil. Once heated, add garlic. Sauté it for few seconds.
- Add onion and cook them it soft & translucent on medium flame.
- Add capsicums once onions are half done and sauté them on medium flame. I like a little bit in them, if you don’t like it then cook them completely.
- Add zucchini and eggplant/ brinjal once the capsicum is half done.
- Add salt, pepper, chillies & mixed herbs and mix well. Cover and let it cook on low – medium flame for 5 mins until the veggies are almost done.
- Add chopped parsley and cooked rice and mix well. Check for seasoning and adjust. Cover and let it cook on low flame for 5 -8 mins. This will ensure the rice takes all the flavours.
- While this is cooking, take the walnut and toast them. You can either do it in a hot pan over gas or give it 2 mins in 150° C preheated oven.
- Now comes the best part, EATING! But remember you can present this simple & humble dish nicely.
- I used a ring and press the prepared rice in it. Garnished it with toasted walnuts and parsley.
You can also watch the video:
By Madhur Phadnis,