How to make spinach and ricotta ravioli at home
Who doesn’t love ravioli! Spinach and ricotta is a classic ravioli combination and tastes simply divine. These are flavour bombs and can be served with sauce or simply toss it in butter and sage! You can store these too…look for the tips at the bottom! You can use readymade pasta sheets but best to use fresh pasta!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 Mins
Yield: 16 portions
Pasta dough – check out the fresh pasta dough recipe.
- Ricotta – 150 gms
- Parmesan – 25 gms
- Spinach – 250 gms
- Egg – 1 (optional)
- Salt (as per taste)
- Pepper – ½ tsp
- Nutmeg – ¼ tsp
For Spinach and Ricotta filling:
- Blanch the spinach leave and squeeze out as much water as possible. Chop it finely & bring it to room temperature.
- In a bowl add ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, spinach, salt pepper & egg and blend it with a spoon.
- Eggs act as a binder. But I didn’t use one in my filling and it didn’t make much of a difference.
- Roll out thin pasta sheets. You can use the pasta machine if you have one. If not, then you can follow what I did.
- I used a rolling pin to roll out on my granite counter directly.
- Please see the pic for how thin you need to roll. You can see the granite counter top underneath.
- Ensure you roll out in a rectangle shape. (roll out 2 sheets of the same size)
- Now on one sheet place small balls of filling.
- Now brush all the edges around the filling with water.
- Then place a pasta sheet on top of it and press along the edges.
- Then using a cutter cut out the ravioli packets. Ensure all edges are sealed.
- Place the ravioli pockets onto a tray over semolina.
- Let me rest for 15 mins. You want the pasta to dry up a little bit.
- Now take about 3 litres of water in a heavy bottom pan. Add 1-2 tsp of salt.
- Bring the water to boil, then add the dried ravioli. They will sink at first.
- Once they float take them out and drain it. It will take about 2 – 3 mins.
- I served this lovely spinach and ricotta ravioli with tomato sauce (Image above). Here is my tomato sauce recipe.
- In a hot pan, add butter & sage. Let the butter melt and sauté the sage for few seconds. Toss the ravioli till they are coated. Season it and serve.
By Madhur Phadnis,