FRENCH ALMOND CAKE RECIPE
This is a moist French almond cake recipe. I am sure you all will love it. This cake recipe uses almond flour or almond meal apart from the almond extract which gives its beautiful flavour. I used Simply Organic’s Almond extract picked on a USA trip and you need very little of it. A warning before you start baking. Be careful while using extracts as they are concentrated flavour and one needs very little of it.
Now go ahead and try this recipe and dig into this spongy and moist French almond cake!
Yield: One 9-inch round cake (Although I made it in 7-inch ring, as I wanted more height)
Prep Time: 15-20 mins
Total Time: 1 hour
Ingredients for french almond cake:
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup almond flour (meal/ powder)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt (Pinch)
- Almond flakes (to sprinkle on top)
- ¾ cup plain yogurt (ensure its fresh)
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¾ cup oil (don’t use strong flavour oils like peanut, coconut. Vegetable or sunflower is the best option)
Step by step process:
- Preheat the oven to 175˚C for 10 mins at least. Use an oven thermometer for accurate temperature. Grease the pan with butter & line the tin the bottom with parchment paper. Using parchment paper helps cakes come out with ease.
- Spread almonds flakes on a baking tray evenly. Bake for 2 mins until they get a light brown tinge. Keep a close eye on them, as they are flakes they will get burnt quickly.
- In a bowl sieve all-purpose flour, almond flour, baking powder and salt (Dry ingredients). To mix evenly use a whisk. In another bowl combine the yogurt, sugar, eggs & extract (wet ingredients). Mix until well blended. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture. Mix everything to combine. Don’t over mix. (refer
- Add the oil and stir well. (Ensure you add oil at the end always) Once you add it will look separated but keep mixing with a paddle to blend well. It will come together in 2-5 mins.
- Pour the batter into prepared tin and sprinkle the almond flakes on it. Bake it for 35-45 mins.
- Towards last 10-15 minutes of baking cover the cake with aluminium foil. This will avoid the top getting burnt. By 30-35 mins the top of the cake should be nice & brown.
- You can check if the cake is done by 2 ways. Either gently press the cake and it will be springy. Or insert a skewer/ toothpick and if it comes out clean then it’s done. Once cooled, carefully run a knife around the edges to loosen the cake.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin.
- Once cooled, run a knife around the edges of the tin to loosen the sides. Be gentle while doing this. We just want to separate the cake which might be sticking to the edges of the tin.
- Take it out onto a cake board or cake stand, you can dust some icing sugar if you want.