How to make nutritious Paneer Burji
[Scrambled Cottage Cheese]
Paneer or Cottage cheese is one of the most loved ingredients in India. It packed with protein and is healthy. Cottage cheese can be used in a variety of dishes & cuisines. This is a paneer burji recipe which literally translates to scrambled cottage cheese.
This is a famous Mumbai street food served with the iconic Ladi pav (soft bread). This is a simple recipe. But you can add your own spin by changing the spices or adding whatever vegetables you like. You can add this as a filling in any bread you like.
For all the non-Indians head over to an Indian grocery store and you will all the spices and cottage cheese.
Prep Time: 20minutes
Cook time: 15-20minutes
Yield: For 2 persons.
- 2 cups / 200 gms – Paneer (grated)
- 1 – Red onions (chopped) medium size
- 1-2 – Tomatoes (chopped) medium size
- 2 – Green chillies (chopped)
- 2 Tbsp – Oil
- 1 tsp – Salt (Or as per taste)
- 1 tsp – Rai (mustard) seeds
- 1 tsp – Jeera (Cumin) seeds
- 1 tsp – Haldi (Turmeric) powder
- 1 tsp – Chilli powder
- 1 tbsp – Kanda salun masala (onion garlic spice) OR 1 tbsp garlic paste.
- 1 tsp – Chaat Masala (a blend of spices with black salt, it’s sweet, tangy in flavour)
- Finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Lemon wedges
Paneer Burji – Instructions:
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan/ kadhai.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chopped green chillies and sauté it for a couple of secs. [If you are using garlic paste add it now.]
- Add chopped onions and cook them on low to medium flame.
- Once onion softens, add the chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder, kanda salun masala. Mix well
- Once the tomatoes have softened & you see little oil in the pan add the grated paneer. Mix well. Cover and let it simmer on low flame.
- After 2-3 minutes add salt & chaat masala. Mix well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Drizzle juice of 1 lemon wedge before serving.
- Enjoy it hot with whatever bread you like. You can even use any type of Indian flat-breads.
You can view the video here:
Share your pics 🙂
By Madhur Phadnis,